Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Maddi's Writing Self-Assessment

Throughout the semester my writing developed in many ways, but I think the most substantial improvement was that it became more focused towards my ideas. I learned how to incorporate many different types of sources and arguments, as well as theories, to enhance my argument and make it more focused on the subject, while still maintaining my style of writing. At the beginning of the semester I expressed that I could easily stay organized with research papers, but that a formulaic approach submerged my voice within my papers. With being able to use a variety of sources and theories, my ideas were able to flourish well beyond a strict formalist approach. I feel that I learned how to blend professionalism with my style in my writings!

The most enjoyable part of drafting my final paper was seeing all the things I had practiced throughout the semester come together. I felt very uncomfortable using contemporary and informal sources at the beginning of the semester, and it was fun to see my final product and how they enhanced my argument by adding depth to it. This type of source didn’t seem to fit the professional lens that I viewed research papers with, and I wasn’t sure how to incorporate them effectively. However, I learned how to use them to modernize my arguments, and to introduce me to different claims that I previously wouldn’t have considered. I used blogs and forums, pictures and YouTube videos, as well as play reviews to bring shape into my argument about “The Yellow Wallpaper”. Moving forward, I’ll be much more willing to bring these aspects into my writing. I was surprised to see how they didn’t distract from my professional voice in my paper, but as I began to be more familiar with using them, they made my paper feel relatable and current.

I was also unsure how to use form to create an intriguing argument within my research, but it ended up being a large focus of my final paper, as I became more comfortable articulating how the author portrayed different ideas within the text. Learning how to use general sources helped me gain confidence in this region. I do feel this is one of my strongest skills in my writing now! However, I also know I’m weak in my social aspects of writing. It is still easy for me to keep my head down and work, however I did get better at branching out. I used comments from my peers on my blog posts, discussions we had in class and through our peer reviews, and even the librarian to help me develop my paper. These resources definitely helped my paper a lot, and really encouraged me to bring my voice into my writing, and I am beginning to feel more comfortable using them. Unfortunately, I do see myself being more hesitant to use these resources in the future, therefore I want to develop greater habits of being social with my writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment